Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Blog Self Evaluation 1

Overall, I have had a total of 6 blog posts of which 2 are communicating science related. Each of my posts have been focused on my topic of renewable energy. One brief post regarding solar towers in Spain, another post regarding the renewable portfolio standards, one focused on the optimization of solar energy and another on wind energy in Pueblo, CO. I believe that each of these posts encourages reader involvement but I could be putting a little more science into them. I have had 10 comments on my blog posts and a few of these include my own. I do read all of the comments that are put on my blog and try my best to answer questions readers may have. Half of my posts have been full of content from other sources and my opinions are expressed throughout the post, and the other half of posts are short posts that reference a good article or video I found related to renewable energy.

The design of my blog tries to complement my topic through a simple and clean design. The picture in the background of flower windmills and a power plant introduce the topic of the blog to the reader. I have also added links to videos on a side tab of my blog that introduce the reader to renewable energy if they are unfamiliar with the topic. I provide links and sources throughout my posts to help qualify my posts as well as give my readers more information on the topic.

I make at least one post a week related to my topic although I believe that I could be posting more content throughout the week. I have however, been very active in our blog community and have a total of 10 comments on other blogs in the class. I have yet to find other outside blogs related to renewable energy or power, but once I do I will become active on those blogs. I could also be posting more on other students' blogs that I haven't yet. I've done a good job at keeping up with a number of the blogs but if I start commenting on blogs I haven't yet I would be creating a larger community for my blog.

In my blog's current state, I would grade it between a C and a B. According to the grading rubric, I believe that I have met the minimum requirement of posts and stayed to the topic while keeping communicating science in mind. There are very few grammatical errors in my posts and most of my posts are encouraging to the reader. The design of my blog has a very clean and easy to navigate look. The posts stay focused on the topic and use a variety of sources and resources throughout the posts. I have also engaged in discussions on others' blogs frequently as well as had discussions on my own posts.    I could do a better job of updating my own blog more frequently as well as providing more science in each of my posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment